Re: Run out of disk space on LVM

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 07:01:06PM +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> On 2/24/07, Marcus Blumhagen <marcus.blumhagen@web.de> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >When did you try to run resize2fs? Was it before or after lvreduce? Or
> >could you provide more detail on how you managed to grow / and shrink
> >/var?
>
> Well let me detail the process. I booted up with an Ubuntu live cd and
> from a terminal I tried
>
> 1) # resize2fs /dev/debian/var 2G
> This didn't work and told me that resize didn't support my current
> filesystem
> 2) # lvreduce -L -248M /dev/debian/var
> 3) # lvextend -L 248M /dev/debian/root
> 4) # resize2fs /dev/debian/root
>
> Rebooted and had the problem as described previously.
> [...]

I am sorry I have to tell you this, but after step one, knowing the
resize of the filesystem did not take place, you should have stopped.
lvreduce does not resize the filesystem! see man lvreduce:

> [...]
> DESCRIPTION
>       lvreduce allows you to reduce the size of a logical volume.  Be careful
>       when reducing a logical volume’s size, because data in the reduced part
>       is lost!!!
>       You  should  therefore  ensure  that  any  filesystem  on the volume is
>       resized before running lvreduce so that the  extents  that  are  to  be
>       removed are not in use.
> [...]

So you have corrupted the filesystem and this is the time to restore
your backup. Or you can give "testdisk" a try, but not without
carefully reading the provided documentation! Actually I never needed
it, but the description states, that it can be of help in situations
like yours.

Regards
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein