Re: Recovering OOo rapid starter & update-notifier on Gnome panel

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 23:19 +0000, andy wrote:

To be honest Andrew, I am not at all sure what I did! :( I used to
have the OOo quickstart, and the update-notifier in the "notification
area" of the Gnome panel. However, I seem to have deleted them, even
though the actual apps are running. It just makes it tricky to get to
these apps unless I access them via a menu. I was hoping to find a way
of rolling back changes on a Gnome window manager. I cannot seem to
find anything in the docs, nor in the options to add to the panel,
etc., that would enable me to replace what I sunk.

update-notifier is only visible if there are updates available.

Anyway, make sure that you still have a notification area on your panel,
and that you haven't disabled update-notifier (but if you had, it
shouldn't be running), see Desktop > Preferences > Sessions and the
Startup Programs tab.

The apps you can access through the context menu of update-notifier is
AFAIK update-manager, the properties of update-manager and possibly
synaptic. All of these should still be available in Desktop >
Administration.

HTH,

Thanks Sven. This a.m. "update-notifier" reappeared as it should in the notification area. Now all the notification area is missing is the OOo quickstart app. I've dug around in various menus but can't see that particular option.

Also, how does one change the brightness of the monitor display (without adjusting the physical monitor properties itself) in Gnome? I seem to remember that there was something I could adjust the display brightness of the desktop, but perhaps that was from Xfce4 and I'm just getting confused. Any thoughts?

Cheers

/A