Re: Run out of disk space on LVM

Le samedi 24 février 2007 10:41, Justin Hartman a écrit :
> On 2/24/07, Gilles Mocellin <gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:
> > 0) You must tell us what filesystems you use on / and /var. I suppose
> > it's ext3 for now.
>
> Yes it's ext3
>
> > 1) If there's space on the VG debian, just extend the root LV :
> > To see space used on the debian VG :
> > # vgs debian
>
> There is no space so I've ommited trying this step.
>
> > 2) You've got space on /var, so reduce it to give space to root :
> > # resize2fs /dev/debian/var 2G
> > # lvextend -L 350M /dev/debian/root
> > # resize2fs /dev/debian/root
>
> Executing resize2fs /dev/debian/var 2G returns this:
>
> Filesystem at /dev/debian/var is mounted on /var; on-line resizing required
> On-line shrinking from 750592 to 524288 not supported.

So your filesystem was created without -O resize_inode.
You'll have to boot on a live CD (RIP, grml...) and do these steps offline.

Perhaps, you can go to runlevel 1 and unmount /var before shrinking it, I
think you have a chance here.
Online growing of / will perhaps work, else boot on a live CD (or other
system).