Re: Running QEMU from a cron job

* Linas ??virblis <0x0007@gmail.com> [2007 Feb 23 10:01 -0600]:

> A much simpler solution would be to have QEMU started by cron, and set
> up the guest OS to shut down after doing something. Or you could run
> QEMU in snapshot mode and simply kill it, when not needed. Or... the
> possibilities are endless. What exactly do you want to achieve?

This was the way I had originally intended to do things and I think I
figured how to get this done.  My issue was with getting qemu to shut
down.  It now appears that if I start the VM with the -no-reboot option
and then tell the guest (Slackware 10.2) to 'shutdown -r now' qemu will
exit instead.

I don't need to have any interaction between the host and the guest, I
was just missing a reliable way to shut the thing down which I think
I've figured out.

My goal in all of this is to download a CVS tree of a project I'm
working on, build a snapshot tarball, upload it to a directory, delete
the tree, and exit.  I've already got all of that working on a seperate
machine (which used to run full time) and now I'm trying to consolidate
everything onto this machine.  It can do this in the middle of the
night when I sleep.

> And do not forget that QEMU is mostly a GUI application, so you will
> probably need to run xorg.

Thanks for pointing that out.  That may be another area to work around
as well.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of