Re: etch; possibly just mkfs problem [it helped - but another problem persists]

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 17:12 +0100, Glenn Moeller-Holst wrote:
> Now another problem appears - that also was there before.
>
> mkfs.vfat  can not see the first partition only:
> pc:/dev#mkfs.vfat -f 1 /dev/sdc1

> The command:
> pc:/dev#mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdd2
> mke2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
> Could not stat /dev/sdc2 - - - No such file or catalog/directory.

> The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
> pc:/dev#

> Apparently the mkfs.vfat command formated the whole SD card... - not
> just the first partition - and destroyed the partitions.
>

> /Glenn

I'm not sure if I follow. You have (had?) the following disk:
#fdisk -l /dev/sdc
Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdc1p1          1         99      49873     b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdc1p2        100       1010     451856    83  Linux

How exactly did you want it to be set up? Or, did you want to format, as
in *erase*, the data on both partitions?

If the partitions are gone now, run qtparted (apt-get install qtparted)
and select /dev/sdc. Partition it however you want it. QTParted can also
format a partition to whatever filesystem you want.

--
Matthew K Poer