Re: How to install from hard disk on ia64 system?

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:11:57PM -0500, b smyt wrote:
> My cd-rom is not recognized by the debian installer
> because of the intel 965 chipset on my asus p5b
> mainboard.  I know there is a way to install from an
> iso image on the hard drive but I am having problems
> understanding how to get this to work. I currently
> have mandriva installed and lots of extra harddrive
> space for other distrubutions. I'd like to load etch
> and 64studio which is a debian based multimedia
> distribution.
>
> I believe I need the hd-media version of the debian
> installer, which I can't find in the ia64 installation
> manual at
> http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/ia64/.
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-ia64/current/images/

First, you are using the wrong architecture.  The P5B is an amd64 board:

- Intel(R) Core2 Extreme / Core2 Duo Ready
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) Extreme / Pentium(R) D / Pentium(R) 4 / Celeron(R)
  D Ready

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1178&modelmenu=1

The ia64 architecture is only for Itanium CPUs.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez