How to install from hard disk on ia64 system?

My cd-rom is not recognized by the debian installer
because of the intel 965 chipset on my asus p5b
mainboard.  I know there is a way to install from an
iso image on the hard drive but I am having problems
understanding how to get this to work. I currently
have mandriva installed and lots of extra harddrive
space for other distrubutions. I'd like to load etch
and 64studio which is a debian based multimedia
distribution.

I believe I need the hd-media version of the debian
installer, which I can't find in the ia64 installation
manual at
http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/ia64/.
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-ia64/current/images/
I only see booting from cd-rom and from tftp
mentioned.

I have gotten grub to find and load initrd.gz and
vmlinuz which I copied to /boot/newinstall on my
hardrive. I took these from a 64studio.iso. But of
course that just brough me back to the point in the
installation where the cd-rom is not recognized, since
these are taken from an install cd.

At least if I could find the right vmlinuz and
initrd.gz to use (the ones for hd-media) I think this
will work.

Thanks for your help.