Re: Install of "etch"

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:32:56PM -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I want to try out "Etch".
Etch is the current 'testing' version of Debian, but will shortly be
released. But I'd say its reasonable to install it.
> I have a DVD of "Sarge" (via Linux Magazine). Is it easy enough to
> install Sarge and upgrade to Etch, or am I better off downloading a
> weekly snapshot of Etch?
If you have internet access, then you can do this:
install a basic Sarge system with enough to setup your video, HD,
Network, keyboard and mouse setup. Then upgrade this to Etch. Once you
have that setup. Install all of the rest of the desired software from
the internet.
If you have internet access and a cd/dvd burner then you can do this:
download a net install ISO and install 'testing' aka 'etch'.
Either way, Debian is very able to be upgraded. But if you upgrade from
one stable release to the next, read the upgrade and release notes for
possible issues.
The basic steps in upgrading Sarge to Etch will be this:
edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change 'sarge' to 'etch'
then do:
apt-get update
apt-get install aptitude
aptitude dist-upgrade
cheers,
Kev
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |