Re: Install of "etch"

On Wed February 21 2007 17:32, Kevin Kempter wrote:

> I want to try out "Etch". I have a DVD of "Sarge" (via Linux Magazine). Is
> it easy enough to install Sarge and upgrade to Etch, or am I better off
> downloading a weekly snapshot of Etch?

Either way will work. If I were in you situation I would proceed as
follows.. :)

1) Install a base system with the sarge cd you have.
2) Once sarge is installed edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change the deb lines
that say sarge (or stable) to etch. Then "apt-get update" and "apt-get
dist-upgrade" Then install sound, x and desktop as you like.

Etch does have a nice new installer that you may like to try out though.. :)