Re: Install Debian testing distribution

rocky wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm going install debian testing on my Dell Inpiron 1300. I'm going to
> make it a dual boot system. Right now I have Windows XP home edtion
> loaded on the laptop. And the 60 GB hard driver is not partitioned.
> Can any of you help me on the following please?
>
> 1, How can I free some space for Debian installation? What are the
> tools I need to use? Do I need to go into DOS consle to achieve this?

Disk cleanup wizard, uninstall programs you don't regularly use, and do a
defrag.

> 2, I have broad band internet connection. It is not easy for me to get
> a full installation CD. Therefore, I decided to use netinstall CD. But
> there's no Netinstall CD for testing package. The workaround I can
> think of is using Netinstall for Stable to install the base system and
> upgrade to Testing ditribution. Is this the right way?

That's the right way.  Though since you already have Windows, you can also
try http://www.goodbye-microsoft.com/ as an alternative to dealing with
CDs.

> 3, What is the best way for me to find out which is the fastest mirror
> for me to download the Testing distribute packages?

apt-spy

> 4, What if I want install FreeBSD as the third Operating system on my
> laptop? What is the best partition plan?

If you really want to do this (NOT recommended:  Pick an OS already!) you'll
need to consult your bootloader's documentation and the various multiboot
HOWTOs out there to come up with a game plan for this.