Re: Installing TeX/LaTeX in Sarge

* Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> [070221 11:14]:
> Hello Russel,
>
> Now I have to build a collection of three editons (de, en, fr) of
> Education-Books of each 2500 Pages which will be splitted into 11
> volumes.
>
> I do not know, wheter TeX is the right way to go, but I need at the end
> the Books as Hard-Copies, PDF's and HTML (maybe other formats too).
>
> 1)  Do you recommend to use TeXLive or should I use another Format
>     like SGML or XML as recommended from some other peoples?
>
> 2)  Since I know only some basics, are there documentations in PDF
>     HOW-TO-WRITE-THE-DOC?
>
> 3)  Can you recommend Books?

Hi, Michelle.

For my own web site, all the source is LaTeX; the package "hyperlatex"
creates HTML, and the package "rubber" handles creation of PDF; see
the man page.

Several years ago, a friend designed a system to create and maintain
my web site; this was back when I was new to Debian and new to LaTeX.
The result is a Makefile which converts a set of LaTeX documents into
HTML pages and also creates PDF documents of everything.  After I add
a document or make a change to a document, I execute the makefile and
recreate the entire web site, which takes only a minute or two, then I
upload the entire site to the server which hosts my web site.

The only thing which I could not do in hyperlatex was place metatags
("keyword" and "description") in the head of HTML files; hyperlatex
places the tags in the body.  So I went to the local "Perlmongers"
group, and they showed me how to use Perl to move automatically
metatags from the body to the head.

As to the question of whether LaTeX/hyperlatex/rubber would be a good
approach for your book: At the present time on my web site, HTML
appears only in the web pages themselves.  Most of the web pages have
links to documents which are in PDF format, and to some audio files in
MP3 format.  I also provide a link which allows visitors to download
the set of web pages in PDF format.  Most of the documents on my web
site are lengthy, are typeset in two columns, and have numerous
footnotes.  In PDF the documents are attractive and easy to read, but
in HTML they would be ugly and difficult to read.

The hyperlatex manual is well-written and detailed; it has less than a
hundred pages.  I suggest that you print out and read the manual
before you begin.

I consider the best book by far on LaTeX to be "A Guide to LaTeX" by
Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly, Third Edition, published by
Addison-Wesley, 1999, ISBN 0-201-39825-7.  This is the only book you
need, aside from the hyperlatex manual and the Makefile manual.  I
have purchased a dozen LaTeX books, including all the most popular
ones, but Kopka & Daly is the only one I need and use.  Kopka & Daly
shows in detail how to create LaTeX documents of all sort (article,
report, book, letter) and how to control the formatting.

Regards,

RLH