Re: Installing TeX/LaTeX in Sarge

* Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> [070217 10:42]:
> Running Sarge.
> What to install when you would like to give TeX/LaTeX a try?
>
> In Synaptic I see something named latex209-base, but it says:
> LaTeX 2.09 is obsolete. Use LaTeX 2e.
> But there's no package called latex2e or something, nor do I see
> anything else that looks like it could be the main package.

The problem is that TeX and LaTeX need many supporting packages.
Previously, these supporting packages have been bundled together into
a coherent package called TeTeX, the "Te" standing for Thomas Esser.

However, Thomas Esser recently discontinued support of TeTeX.  The
bundling of TeX and LaTeX has been taken up by a group which has put
together a slightly different package, which is called TeXLive.  It
appears that TeTeX is to be abandoned and superceded by TeXLive.

If you install the Debian TeXLive package, you should find that LaTeX
works as it formerly did in TeTeX.  I am running TeTeX under Etch on
one i386 machine, and TeXLive under Etch on another i386 machine, and
I have not seen any difference in behaviour or performance.

If it happens that TeXLive is not available for Sarge, then install
TeTeX.  But when you upgrade to Etch, you need to install TeXLive.

RLH