Re: Install Debian testing distribution

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:47:06 -0800
"Michael M." <mcubed@slashmail.org> wrote:

[snip]

> FreeBSD uses UFS (or UFS+ or UFS2, something like that) by default and
> unfortunately there is no support for reading from or writing to that
> file-system from Windows or Debian.  You will be able to access your
> NTFS (Windows) and ext3 (Debian) partitions from FreeBSD, at least to
> read from them if not to write to them, but unless things have changed,
> your UFS (FreeBSD) partitions will not be accessible from either Windows
> or Debian.

>From the my kernel docs (linux-source-2.6.18/fs/Kconfig):

config UFS_FS
        tristate "UFS file system support (read only)"
        help
          BSD and derivate versions of Unix (such as SunOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
          OpenBSD and NeXTstep) use a file system called UFS. Some System V
          Unixes can create and mount hard disk partitions and diskettes using
          this file system as well. Saying Y here will allow you to read from
          these partitions; if you also want to write to them, say Y to the
          experimental "UFS file system write support", below. Please read the
          file <file:Documentation/filesystems/ufs.txt> for more information.

          The recently released UFS2 variant (used in FreeBSD 5.x) is
          READ-ONLY supported.

[snip]

config UFS_FS_WRITE
        bool "UFS file system write support (DANGEROUS)"
        depends on UFS_FS && EXPERIMENTAL
        help
          Say Y here if you want to try writing to UFS partitions. This is
          experimental, so you should back up your UFS partitions beforehand.

Celejar