Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 00:33 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/21/07 00:09, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Kevin Mark wrote:
> >> I recall they are huge, requiring a lot of floor space and required a
> >> noise cover otherwise you'd hear ear-splitting, griding  noise. X-(
> >
> >     Yup, yup and yup.  Of course having to work on some model or another of
> > green-bar printer for the past year-and-a-half lemme tell you, nothing better.
> >  You forgot to mention that once the top is down the modern models are
> > extremely quiet and extremely fast.  I'd like to see a laser printer crank out
> > 500, triple-strike pages without jamming every few minutes.  Hell, the lasers
> > at my current job, even the large floor-space consuming office model, jam more
> > often than the several green-bars we have combined.
>
> Really?  Back in the late 80s, the company I worked for had some
> Xerox 8700(???) printers (each fed by a 9-track tape drive and
> controlled by a Lear-Siegler ADM-3A terminal) and remember how
> durable they were.  During tax season, they'd go thru dozens of
> reams of paper per day without jamming.  Of course, they were well
> maintained...
>
> >     Think of it this way:
> >
> > Laser - Windows, looks purdy, craps out all the time.
> > Greenbar - Linux, klunky and not as pretty but gets the work done right.
>
> Linux driving a band printer?
>
> The last band printer I saw was connected to a VAXfarm back in 1991.

The best printer I have ever used for printing reams and reams of
tractor feed... shuttle and pin printers. Mannesman-Tally using 661
printing coding.

I don't recall the actual model, but it did a few thousand lines of
print a minute. The only maintenance I need to do to the 15 year old
printer was: cleaning and replacing the pins on the shuttle, which were
in 8 pin packs.

I printed to it via CUPS and a PPD. I mainly printed mailing labels for
mailing labelers to put them on.

sometimes it would go through 12 feet of folded fanfold paper in an 8
hour day.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup