Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:14:35PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/20/07 17:41, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > I too discovered checkrestart a while back.  However, my experience with
> > it was so disappointing, that I ended up cooking up my own script using
> > lsof and the init scripts in /etc/init.d.
>
> Do you remember why it was disappointing?  So far it has worked
> great for me.

When I was on my uber-security kick, I read the "Securing Debian Manual"
and tried to apply as many of the suggestions as I could to one of my
servers.  This included mounting /usr, /opt and /usr/local as read-only.
Whenever something upgraded a shared library in /usr/lib, if the
daemon(s) which had loaded that library are not restarted, then /usr
fails to remount as ro because it is busy.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez