Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 09:45:16PM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I no longer have anything to do with that area - but I would say today
> that we still cannot produce documents with the consistency and
> completeness (proper version control of all documentation, with the
> version numbers automatically printed in the footer is just one such
> example)

Tell me about it.  I wish people would invest a little time in learning
LaTeX.  I deal with documentation all day and even from within the same
department, it is all a mish-mash of different things (produced mostly
in Word), with no standardization whatsoever.

With LaTeX, you could have centralized version control of all documents,
with centralized control of standard style sheets.  Of course, that will
never happen as long people believe that they have a pressing need for
WYSIWYG.  Of course, I can't remember who said it (maybe Leslie
Lamport), WYSIWYG is better stated as WYSIAYG---what you see is *all*
you get.

Regards,

-Roberto

--