Re: Re gpm and swapping mouse buttons

Mike McClain wrote:
From: Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com>
Subject: Re gpm and swapping mouse buttons [ was: Re: old hardware, newer

I also had to change my GUI mouse settings, swapping the buttons there as well.

This is the part I don't know how to do, how to swap the buttons in X.

BTW Bob, I really found your comments on fsck lucid and informative.
I've wondered about that myself.
Thanks,
Mike

Oh, I see. I was thinking in terms of KDE or Gnome, which each have a nice graphical mouse setup.

A little googling finally put me on the right course: you use a program called 'xmodmap' to modify both key and mouse input parameters.

For the mouse, do this in you X startup file (I'm not sure what file is best, here, you can use .xinitrc, or ???):

   xmodmap -e 'pointer = 3 2 1' 2>/dev/null

I put in the error redirect because xmodmap thinks there can be up to 9 buttons and will generate a warning about only changing the first 3.

But, it does work, even for KDE, so the underlying mechanism for KDE button mapping must be xmodmap.

Cheers,

Bob

PS.  Thanks for the kudos ;)