Re: OT processes and cpu use

Øyvind Røtvold wrote:
Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

[snip]

Sorry for reposting, but I should add that my concern stems in part
from top reporting that 27% of the CPU is being used by users, and 73%
by system, which conflicts with the line item for paup, a user
process, which shows 99% CPU use. So I'm not sure if paup is using 99%
or 27% of the CPU:

Cpu(s): 26.7%us, 73.3%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,
0.0%st

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 14385 tyler 25 0 141m 140m 660 R 99.7 9.3 82:34.35 paup

This is a bit odd, as others have indicated this merely means that
this process spends over 70% of it's time in system mode.  This means

Yep.

that it spends a lot of time producing output or communicating with
other processes or what have you.  If this program does purely
numerical analysis it should not be doing this, 'strace' or 'valgrind'
might tell you more.

Umm, not a valid conclusion, though the idea to try to optimize
is reasonable. He may be doing lots of disc reading, all of which
is in cache.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.