can't get running ethernet card smc

Hi,
i've installed etch on a machine to get it function as a router for
my internal net.
So there are 2 eth cards installed:
1 D-link 530tx ( detected and running without any problem)
1 SMC 9332BDT ( recognized on boot )

What strange is, on a sarge box the driver for the SMC card is
(detected) initialised as a 'de4x5' and,
on the etch box as a 'tulip' driver.

I can't get ethx up with that card running on the etch box,
nor with the de4x5 nor the tulip driver.

Any hint would be welcome.

best regards
mess-mate
--

The notes blatted skyward as they rose over the Canada geese, feathered
rumps mooning the day, webbed appendages frantically pedaling unseen