Email receiving problems

I am working with a test box trying to get a test environment running to switch from Solaris to Debian. I am having a problem with my email. I am running 'Postfix' SMTP server. I am running the 'Courier IMAP' server. I can send email just fine. When I am receiving email there is a problem. The email is supposed to go to the 'maildirs' directory in the home folders for the users. Problem is the email goes to the /var/mail/$username directory.

Anyone have an idea of what I did wrong?

Thanks

Kelly