Re: about audacity and sound recording on Linux

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 15:31 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> 1. If the input waveform seems to go beyond the +1 and -1 scale, what
> does that signify? I assume that shows recording circuit is being
> saturated and that the output from mixer should be reduced.

I think that's correct. "Any waveform that goes above 1.0 or below -1.0
will be clipped and will result in distortion." From
http://www.guidesandtutorials.com/audacity-tracks.html

I have only dabbled a little bit with Audacity myself, so I could be
wrong of course. For these kind of non Debian specific questions, I
suggest you try the mailing lists and forums for Audacity itself.

> 3. On a machine, I exported a portion of the captured audio to a wav
> file (basically, saved a portion of the input). I then transfered it to
> my home computer running Debian. While that sound wave file was shown
> between +1 and -1 in the original machine, on my home machine is was
> being shown between +0.5 and -0.5 in audacity. What gives?

I think this is just an arbitrary value. You can zoom in and out to show
it in a different scale.

> In essence, I want to
> call a script that converts all wav files in a directory to mp3 files.
> And of course, I would like to be able to set the bitrate in the script.
> Suggestions on which tool to use for this?

You will need the "lame" package from the unofficial Debian Multimedia
repository as Debian does not ship an mp3 encoder.
http://debian-multimedia.org/

> 2. I can export to ogg format from audacity. Can I do the same thing as
> (1) for this as well? Does ogg format support tags?

Yes, with oggenc from the vorbis-tools package. And yes, Ogg support
tags.

I suggest you use your favourite scripting language (Bash, Perl, Python
etc.) and write a small script for calling lame or oggenc and reading
the tags from a file.

HTH,

--
Cheers,