Re: sound problems on debian

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 01:29:20PM -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On Mon Feb 12 06:48:27 2007, steef wrote
>
> > ... get the newest alsa-drivers (1.0.14) from their site and the
> > alsa-libs and alsa-utils (2).
> >
> > compile the drivers as root into a (new) directory /usr/src/alsa (3) and
> > install snd-hhda-intel into your kernel  (4) (i assume a 2.6.x.y kernel)
> > compile and install as root alsa-libs and als-utils in your
> > home-directory (5). that should do the trick.
>
> I'd rather not do this much manual installation, because I'll have to
> manually uninstall all of it when a new deb-file version appears.  So I may
> just wait.  Alsa 1.0.14 is not yet in unstable.

As you seem to be running sid or at least parts of it, I'd suggest
using checkinstall from the package with the same name. The only
difference to the normal installation is to use:

# checkinstall

instead of

# make install

This way you can later on deinstall using the debian package
managemant tools, since it will create a .deb and install that one.

Also the package module-assistant might be an even better alternative,
since it eases off some of the pains involved when compiling modules
for your kernel and creates a .deb too.

Regards
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein