Re: [Debian-User] Xen and a local mirror or a R/W DVD

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 03:14:39PM -0700, Archive wrote:
> I really like the idea passed on to me of getting the entire 14 disk
> ETCH (older and therefore stable) distribution on a R/W DVD where the

An older Etch is exactly the opposite of what you want.  In the time
since the freeze, there have been dozens of release-critical bug fixes
and a number of security updates.  Thus, running an older Etch is bad if
you plan to be online and is also generally bad since you are more
likely to encounter a bug that was fixed at a time after the date of the
particular snapshot of Etch you are using.

> first DVD contains the installer.  Apparently, this approach using the
> appropriate package management calls will allow that same R/W DVD to be
> automatically updated.  Another person advocating this approach
> indicated that I could use the ISO files instead of creating a mirror of
> the POOL (directory having the latests release, testing, and others)
> packages.However, I like the idea but it may have a flaw which I detail
> further on near the bottom.

I'm not sure that you can do that with a DVD.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez