Re: Woody on 486 problem

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:54 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
> Still, I have a old Celeron 600mhz with 16MB acting as a server running
> Sarge.  It works fine.  The computer was heading to the dump and I
> thought I could rescue it and put it to some use.  It does not have a
> GUI, and doesn't need one.

I cringe when I see good working hardware being thrown away.  My old
company has a whole army of Pentium 100 machines doing Firewall duty at
their clients.  Heck, I've used a 486 for just that - ok, it was 56k
dialup with only two PCs in the network, but still...

When I moved house I bit my lip and put old my old 486/P-I/P-II machines
on the pavement.  I don't know if whoever took them sold them for scrap
metal or gave them to the neigbour's kid, but it sure was sad letting
them go.

But in my current job I've become much more aware of power issues, and
where I would usually use a couple of machines to test stuff that needed
a couple of machines, I'm now more inclined to get one strong box and
use virtual machines.  One of my friends bought a secondhand 486 because
he needs something with a serial port to connect to some control system.
I saw on the net a little linux computer that consists pretty much of a
network card and a serial port. www.picolinux.com I think.  I thought
that would probably do the job too and almost certainly cost much less
to run in the long run.  And it's quiet :-)

Hans