new installation : cannot login

Hi all

I have just installed Deb Etch onto my wife's computer, preserving her pre-existing /home directory.

The installation was flawless until I went to go and login as her and am being denied access at the gdm login screen. The messages refer to the $HOME/.dmrc saying that it will be ignored, and that the $HOME directory must be owned by the user and have 644 permissions and not writable by other users. Click OK and then I get a dialog box informing me that my session lasted less than 10 seconds. When I look at the ~/.xsession-errors file I am informed that it cannot create the per-user gnome configuration directory .gnome2_private: permission denied.

In a word: help!
Did I do something wrong or did I skip out a step? When I installed my Debian system I didn't try and preserve a pre-existing /home directory. I am scared of fiddling just in case I toast her data (in which case, I'll be toast!!).

Any ideas please?

Cheers

/A