Re: no sound..

sön 2007-02-18 klockan 16:40 +0100 skrev Nigel Henry:

> > mb@debian:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> > 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
> >                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at 0xcfdffe00, irq
> > 11
> > 1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
> >                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem at 0xba00, irq 11
> >
> > This irq 11 hangs the cumputer whwn I boot sometimes..
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying. I booted up Sarge to see how I had the sound
> set up, and got distracted.
>
> Your lsmod looks ok, but I see on my Sarge install I have 2 OSS modules
> in /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Some older kernels still had the OSS modules
> "audio" , and "usb_midi" in them, and it was necessary to blacklist them to
> prevent them being loaded. If you run.
> cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat   you should see 2 lines saying something like.
>
> Installed drivers:
> Type 10: ALSA emulation
>
> If there are no such lines, OSS is being used.
>
> Also run lsmod to see if "audio" , and "usb_midi" are on the list.  If they
> are, su to root on the CLI, and with a text editor add both those modules on
> separate lines to /etc/hotplug/blacklist  without the quotes.
>
> I must say I'm a bit short on ideas when it comes to laptops, as many of them
> have really cheapo soundcards, and some of which just don't seem to want to
> work on Linux.
>
> Anyway have a look for those 2 OSS modules. At least will eliminate something
> else.
>
> Nigel.

 I tried yesterday to change the kernel to 2.6.8-3 as I had no clue..
It worked in a way. The sound system is functional now.. Sort of. I get
the sound effects in gnome..  But alas no sound in the java online game
I love to play ( www.runescape.com)  I tried to play  mp3-files in XMMS
but it hang...  But these are maybe entirely differnet issues?