Re: sizeof(long) (was: Re: looking for fix to AMD64 python dl problem....)

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 07:10:41PM -0800, John Pye wrote:

> As you see, we're only using the dl module to give us the values of
> some constants, before then going on and using the standard python
> 'import' command. We are *not* using the dl module to perform dlopen
> calls. The values of these constants are, in general, platform
> specific.

I thought you were using it to actually load libraries.  That's what I
get for talking about I things of which I have no knowledge :-)

> Why the length of various data types should preclude the 'dl' module
> being available on AMD64, I'm not quite clear. I think that instead of
> disabling 'dl' altogether in Python, the Debian build of Python 2.4
> should *definitely* still make 'dl' available, but with with limited
> functionality if there is a problem with getting some aspect to work.

I'm not sure that's such a good idea.  It would be a serious departure
from upstream.  If I were maintaining Debian's Python packages, I would
reject such an idea.

> Looks like my only option is to implement another non-standard module
> that provides the RTLD_GLOBAL etc values and import than in place of
> the 'dl' module. Now *that* is an ugly hack.

Agreed.  That is ugly.

Regards,

-Roberto

--