Re: Install locations when not using .deb

On 17-feb-2007, at 20:13, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 07:52:34PM +0100, Peter Teunissen wrote:

- should I use /usr/* etc. for this or is that reserved for .deb
installs and should I use /usr/local/* instead?

The risk you run in using /usr is that future .debs could trample your
program. If you use /usr/local or /opt, then there is no risk of that,
since official Debian packages are not allowed to touch those areas.

OK, that's the answer I needed. /usr/local/ it will be then. Thanx

The best thing would probably be to turn it into a proper Debian
package.

Yep, was thinking of that. But that will take time and knowledge I currently don't have. I'm prepairing myself for bashing my head into debian's free java stuff, need to get that working with cloveretl... Once it runs, maybe I'll look into making a .deb.

gosh, their's so much still to learn ;-)

Peter