Re: Installing Etch onto a laptop w/out CD device

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:38:28 +0000, andy wrote in message
<[🔎] 45D49A94.30605@dsl.pipex.com>:

> Good day
>
> I have an old-ish laptop with a dodgy CD-device, onto which I want to
> install Etch. I am using Etch on my desktop and the laptop is
> connected  to the same LAN that my desktop is on. Is there anyway that
> I can  exploit this arrangement to enable me to install onto the
> laptop?

..on my 5 old no-cd-nor-net-nor-pcmcia-boot ThinkPad 760ED's, I first
put smartbootmanager on a floppy and put that on (hd0).  I then halt
the box and yank the floppy drive and put in a cd drive, they use the
same bay.

..powering up, it boots up hd smartbootmanager and you just choose the
cd drive from the menu, and if the cd drive is dodging reading the cd,
just hit enter again and again 'till it catches and boots the cd.
>From then on, any boot cd works, I prefer net boot-n-install cd's over
cd installer cd's on my 4x drives.  ;o)

..if you don't have a lan debian mirror, you probably wanna use your
desktop as a firewall, gateway and proxy server while installing your
laptop.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: