Re: Sarge box network connection broken

Kent West wrote:
> Ken Heard wrote:

>> 	Returned:
>>
>> Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
>> Reconfiguring network interfaces...Failed to bring up eth0.
>> done.
>>
>> 	Then a series of messages scrolled down the screen, similar, maybe
>> identical to what appears as part of the boot-up.
>>
>> 	One line which I caught seemed to read:
>>
>>  tried to execve (/etc/dhclient -script, ...): Permission denied
>>
>> followed by several attempts to connect with the network, all of which
>> failed.
>>
>> 	Since these two problems emerged, the syslog has always shown the
>> following:
>>
>> Feb  8 09:04:24 localhost kernel: eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xa000,
>> 00:50:ba:4f:b1:24, IRQ 169
>> Feb  8 09:04:24 localhost kernel: eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type
>> 'RTL-8139C'
>>
>> whereupon the boot-up continued, trying unsuccessfully to connect to the
>> network, including a line with execve in it, and always ending with
>> these last two lines:
>>
>> Feb  8 09:04:41 localhost kdm_greet[2943]: Can't open default user face
>> Feb  8 09:04:47 localhost kdm: :0[2948]: Session
>> "/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession" execution failed: Permission denied
>>

> Hmm; two "Permission denied" errors. Very odd. In "/etc/password", is
> your root user defined as 0,0? What's the result of running "ls -lhn
> /etc/dhclient-script" and "ls -lhn /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession"?

	I did not get a chance to do what you suggested before today.

	Yes, the root user is defined as 0,0.  Running "ls -lhn
/etc/dhclient-script" returned the same as yours did, except for the
date.  Running "ls -lhn /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession" also returned the same
as yours, with two exceptions: the date was different and the three Xs
were missing from the permissions.  I added them and then rebooted.

	Surprise! Surprise!  I don't know whether those absent Xs were the
problem, but I got a network connection.  Thanks for the help.

>> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> ls -lhn /etc/dhclient-script
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 6.6K 2006-12-04 10:07 /etc/dhclient-script
>>
>> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> ls -lhn /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1.4K 2006-03-28 23:13 /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession

I am not sure that the two problems I encountered, broken Xserver on two
computers and inability to reach the network are not connected.
See my post today to my original thread "Etch and Sarge X-server
failures on two different boxes the same day.

			Ken