Re: [Debian-User] Re: More on Network Install

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:42:18 -0700
Admin <thilts33@telus.net> wrote:

>  But everyone seems to get distracted about me wanting a local LAN
> mirror of  source and binanry.  Granted that a dial up connection and

Because this is the most impractical way to get Debian. And even if you
do download all the packages, do you know how to setup a proper mirror
to install from? You will most likely end up with wasted
bandwith/time/space.

> especially a dial up connection that is shared between several
> machines is going to take forever (I estimate over 200 days -- maybe
> longer if it keeps dropping connections on big ORIG files and then
> starting over). However, in the next little while I am scheduled to
> connect to a high speed wireless network which will connect me to a
> high speed IP. That connection will be about 100 times as fast as the
> dial up so instead of taking over 200 days it will only take 1 day. I

A connection of 1Mb/s ~= 130 kb/s => ~10 GB/day. So you still need 20
days to download it all

> day and all night.  That was the Woody distribution. I tried a few
> months later and tried to get "sarge" but in the middle of
> downloading some ISO images changed and I had to throw away a couple
> of days and nights of downloading. Also, somehow I blew away her

Probably sarge wasn't stable. You should also have a look at jigdo for
downloading ISOs.

> At the present time I do not have a machine on which to run DEBIAN.
> So, I use live CDs or DVDs which claim to also install  the entire
> distribution but I know from experience that 4 or 5 DVDs are required
> in order to get the whole show -- all 14 or 15. So one LIVE DVD is
> not 14 CDs.

Of course not, but you will never need the entire 14 or 15 CDs. Just
use jigdo to find out what CDs contain most of the stuff you need, and
the rest of the packages can be installed *very* easy from within your
Debian install.

> I had reserved  about 200 Gig of space on the C_drv of my busiest
> machine (XP Pro machine with Pentium 3) for DEBIAN running in
> conjunction with Xen the virtual machine.  But I did not partition or

What do you need 200 GB for?

> format this empty space and I cannot get any partition facility to
> recognize that the empty disk space even exists.  Instead, these
> facilities think that this big disk is just 22 Gig and there is no
> other space. If you or anyone else knows of a facility that can
> reclaim this empty space then please let me know. Otherwise, DEBIAN

How big is the harddisk? You can use one of the live-cds you mentioned
and run qtparted.

> will have to wait for the new machine or go dual boot on one still at
> the computer hospital recovering from a faulty disk and slow service.
> I am considering an Intel dual core BUT I DON'T KNOW IF DEBIAN WILL
> RUN ON SUCH A MACHINE??????

Of course it will.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Please don't CC me. I read the list.
(Albert Einstein)