[Debian-User] Re: More on Network Install

First, thanks to the 10 people (you know who you are) that provided me with useful information regarding my own local mirror on my LAN. I printed out all your correspondence -- thanks!. It appears I began with some false assumptions even though I had read through the FAQ. Over about a week or so I had downloaded a 128 MB ISO file Network Installer over my dial up Internet connection (simultaneously shared by up to 5 LAN computers -- all doing data acquisition -- the rest of the 15 I use for special efforts but if they require the Internet then the more active ones have to suspend their operations). This is why I was asking questions about my own local mirror or something close to one.

Anyway, I wrongfully expected the Network Installer to somehow build this mirror and I could not have been more wrong in my expectations. Also, I examined the contents of the Network Installer and did not realize that it comes with only a bare bones installation which I was mistaking as the entire Debian reference base. I thought this because it used the same directory construct of numbers and then alsphabetical characters. So in my mind I was thinking there was a whole lot of stuff missing but it seems it was designed this way in order to boot up a basic system and then by some other means (probably a selection menus or use of package commands -- I'm not sure) fetch whatever packages a person might want.

What I did do, since I have NO machine ready for a Debian install and since I don't want the local LAN mirror to be constructed by the Debian Dist. Linux OS was to use a (ugh) Windooze FTP package called ACE FTP Pro. I had , ready to go, three SuSE Linux machines one of which could have done this job but I was not aware of a comparable FTP package. Anyway, as I write this the Windows XP Home machine is building (using OE v. 2.9) creating a a Cygwin mirror (Cygwin is already installed on this machine) and now it is also building (using FTP Pro) the Debian Mirror. The data for both mirrors are on a network drive. The OE package is very reliable but under certain circumstances the ACE FTP package can lose connectivity with the FTP server and it appears it must be disconnected which results in a very messy situation. It maintains a local QUEUE and this contributes to the problem when it cannot reconnect. Anyway, all I am saying is that even though it has persistence and can be told to automatically retry it looks like a fragile solution to my Debian local LAN mirror. The OE (Off Line Explorer) doubles as a server and maintains reference files of the data. This makes the Cygwin mirror dependent upon Windows and if Cygwin wants to update itself from this OE server that server has to be running. This is not the case with ACE FTP pro which simply creates a directory that can be relocated on either a Windows and/or a Linux machine. So If this ACE FTP pro works out then I will do the same with the Cygwin mirror.

Regarding this Debian local LAN mirror. I looked all through the Debian directories to find what alternatives are available before setting this ACE FTP pro package into motion. Remember, whenever I have to explore Internet possibilities I am seriously limited by the speed the Firefox broser can return search results and explore specific directories. I've seen me wait for half an hour just to get a single web page of information and only after multiple REFRESHES. What I think I found may be a big mistake. Thus, this emial. I found the directory structure ~debian/pool/main which seems to contain all the binaries for the large Debian distribution. Each directory selection had provision for about 12 CPUs such as "m68k", "i386", "hurd", and others. But there was no way I could find to identify whether these binaries (if that is what they are) belonged to "Woody", "Testing", "Etch", "Sarge" or any other release.

So my question is, am I collecting the right stuff and exactly what does it mean when a BINARY package is located in the POOL directory. All I can see in the package names is that the file is either ORIG or DEB or DIFF or some kind of documentation file. Maybe the information is right in front of me and I don't recognize it??? The DEB files all seem to show the name and version information. but nothing I recognize as Etch or Sarge except for one exception that had 5 files in the directory where the files contained the word "sarge". I have seen this only once so far and ACE FTP is working on ~/a/ for the next several days or weeks -- not sure yet. Are the binary and source files wrapped together in the POOL directory? It does not seem that way. The ORIG file appears only once in every directory so I assumed it was source and a different DEB file appeared for "m68k", "arm", "i386", etc. suggesting the contents were a specific binary for each CPU type. This is also how I understood the FAQ. My guess is that the "POOL" directory includes ALL TESTING files. -- I vaguely remember something like that in the FAQ???? This brings us back to the Network Installer ISO. Does the Network Installer allow one to select TESTING, SARGE, ETCH, etc., or is there a separate Network Installer for each catagory????? Will the Network Installer work against my local LAN mirror????

Any more help on this subject is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ted Hilts
Sorry for any typos