Re: Using courier-imap (was Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 12:01:41AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/13/07 21:45, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > from your mail data flow diagram: (plus your IMAP server is
> > haggis)
> >
> > fetchmail -> postfix -> SpamAssassin -> maildrop -> Maildir
> >
> > All those programs run on haggis?
>
> Sure.  And the Courier imapd.  And Icedove and Iceweasel and
> PostgreSQL and X and cups and a pot-load of other stuff.

I didn't think you were supposed to run X on servers. Hang on, Icedove
and Iceweasel ... is that also a workstation?

> Are you surprised?

Didn't think haggis could stomach it. :-? Not surprised, just thinking
of the overall picture. I have a couple spare machines, and want to run
PostgreSQL + Apache + PHP + mail + firewall and thought that I read
somewhere that it was not a good idea to have them all on the one
machine. I have an old laptop which I will have a go at using it as some
sort of thin-client but also able to be used as a 'laptop'.

> > Changed to maildir ages ago. Never regretted it. Simple as
>
> Mutt can directly read Maildir folders?  (I don't see why it
> shouldn't, but it just never occurred to me.)

set mbox_type=Maildir

> Procmail?  You probably like Perl, too.

Well, umm, there's heaps of recipes out there ...

> >> set imap_user=XXXX set spoolfile=imap://haggis/INBOX
> >
> > Right. So postfix will need be informed.
>
> Huh?  Informed of what?

local delivery? say from logcheck. mutt depends on an MTA, which
delivers to /var/spool/mail/<user> but set spoolfile=imap://haggis/INBOX
... <scratch head> ... ah! muttprofile? ... I think I *need* a map.

> >> set folder=imap://haggis/INBOX. set move=no set copy=yes set
> >> record=imap://haggis/INBOX/Sent
> >
> > So everything is under INBOX? So a cp ~/.Mail/ ~/.Maildir/ won't
> > work.
>
> On my system, INBOX is virtual.  Think of it as an IMAP construct.

I'll try.

--
Chris.
======