Re: Install Debian testing distribution

On Thu February 15 2007 18:25, rocky wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm going install debian testing on my Dell Inpiron 1300. I'm going to
> make it a dual boot system. Right now I have Windows XP home edtion
> loaded on the laptop. And the 60 GB hard driver is not partitioned.
> Can any of you help me on the following please?
>
> 1, How can I free some space for Debian installation? What are the
> tools I need to use? Do I need to go into DOS consle to achieve this?

The installer will give you an opportunity to create or format a partition to
install debian. Don't format anything you plan on keeping.. ;)

> 2, I have broad band internet connection. It is not easy for me to get
> a full installation CD. Therefore, I decided to use netinstall CD. But
> there's no Netinstall CD for testing package. The workaround I can
> think of is using Netinstall for Stable to install the base system and
> upgrade to Testing ditribution. Is this the right way?

There are a few net install images for etch. Look here..

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/

> 3, What is the best way for me to find out which is the fastest mirror
> for me to download the Testing distribute packages?

There is a package called aptspy that will find a good fast mirror for you. I
don't think that will help much until you get your debian system up and
running though. The installer will also let you choose from a list of
mirrors, just try one close to home. I find the .edu ones are good but YMMV.

> 4, What if I want install FreeBSD as the third Operating system on my
> laptop? What is the best partition plan?

Just leave some space on your drive to install whatever else you'd like later
on.