Re: latex (tetex) refuses to produce dvi

Sorry, this was supposed to be sent to the list ....

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:58:49 -0600
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

> * Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> [070214 20:43]:
> > I tried to produce dvi output from a tex file I have and latex just
> > refuses to do it. I tried:
> > latex -output-format=dvi <file>.tex
> > And it's as if the option is not there, I just get a pdf file again.
> > How do I force latex to produce a dvi file?
> > This is with debian unstable and the tetex packages, not texlive
>
> By default, the command
>
>     $ latex filename.tex
>
> produces a dvi file, in both TeTeX and TeXLive.  I an unaware of the
> "output-format" option; why are you using it?

I'm using the output-format option because the current installation of tetex
on my debian unstable system will only produce pdf and completely refuses to
produce dvi out.

I was used that
$ latex filename.tex
but for some strange reason that doesn't happen here. I guess that there is
some switch somewhere that is ruining things but I have no idea where to look
for it.