re: How to mount Solaris disk as slave?

> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:13:07 -0600
> From: Kent West <westk@acu.edu>
> Subject: How to mount Solaris disk as slave? [Was: Using graphical environment]
>
> Kelly wrote:
> > It is not recognizing the data on the other drive.  It only sees the
> > swap space.  It is asking for the systemfile type.
> >
> > Here is the output.
> > tester# mount
> > /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro,usrquota,grpquota)
> > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> > tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> > usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> > tester# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/temp4sol
> > /dev/hdb1 looks like swapspace - not mounted
> > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> >
> > tester:# cfdisk /dev/hdb <--- this gives me a fatal error --->  FATAL
> > ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition ends in the final partial
> > cylinder.
> >
> > Is it possible that Debian will not read the partitions?
> >
> It's probably of type "ufs". You might try "mount -t ufs /dev/hdb1
> /mnt/temp4sol" (although partition 1 probably is swap, in which case
> that won't work).

Several years ago (98) I had Solaris installed along side Linux until
a RedHat install trashed it. Solaris' partition type is 82 same as
Linux swap. If I recall properly Solaris took the partition I installed
on and subdivided it and I got better info out of my boot messages
(try dmesg | less) than I did from 'fdisk -l'.

Partition check:
    hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 > hda3
    hda4 <solaris: [s0] hda11 [s1] hda12 [s2] hda13 [s3]
    hda14 [s4] hda15 [s5] hda16 [s6] hda17 >

excerpted from /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda11    /solaris         ufs     ufstype=sun,noauto,ro   0 0
/dev/hda12    /solopt          ufs     ufstype=sun,noauto,ro   0 0
/dev/hda14    /solvar          ufs     ufstype=sun,noauto,ro   0 0
/dev/hda16    /soldoc          ufs     ufstype=sun,noauto,ro   0 0
/dev/hda17    /solusr          ufs     ufstype=sun,noauto,ro   0 0

HTH,
Mike
PS: You'll need the ufs module loaded, it's not normally.
You may even have to build it first, though it may already be
on your install disk or look in /lib/modules/*/kernel/fs/ufs/ for ufs.o
Enjoy