Re: Runaway BIND

On Feb 13, 2007, at 11:14 PM, Andy Smith wrote:

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:17:49AM -0500, Rich Johnson wrote:
What is surprising is that such an event brought down _another_ machine.

Would it be fair to say that excessive loggers are ill-behaved?

It sounds like your bind was misconfigured and didn't know what the
IPs of the root servers were.
Always a possibility--though it would mean that it has been misconfigured for 6-1/2 years since the initial installation (potato, or maybe the woody upgrade) and the problem never before encountered. The list of root servers in /etc/bind/db.root is provided by bind/bind9 package. The only changes to the package distribution are the list of forwarders in named.conf.options and the zones in named.conf.local.

That is a critical situation so I
don't blame it for logging like mad.  Some monitoring to check your
logs and disk space would be advised.
I have no objection to bind logging its concerns. But it's the "like mad" bit I find troublesome. 15+MB of log per hour repeatedly recording the same problem, however critical, strikes me as excessive. At this rate the recording eventually causes more damage than the problem itself. My server withstood 10hrs (from Sat PM->Sun AM) before being overwhelmed.

Try logcheck and, well, I'm not sure what.  I use nagios but that's
a bit much for a single machine home user.  There must be something
though.  Maybe one of those desktop widgets that display graphs of
disk space?
Hmm...any of these capable of shutting down the system as it enters a red zone (e.g. /var free space < 10M) and before it becomes unbootable? I find unexpected automatic shutdown preferable to recovery.

Thx,
--rich