My Sarge box no longer,connects to the network

Kent West wrote:

>>> Run "ifconfig" and see if you have an expected IP address; my first
>>> suspicion is that zeroconf got installed; it tends to cause problems
>>> with networking.

Ken Heard replied:

>>     Ifconfig only reports the loop back IP address.  The IP address
>> assigned by the gateway, 192.168.0.114, was not reported by ifconfig,
>> presumably because the operating system cannot connect to the network.

Back to Kent, with my responses.

> What happens when you run "/etc/init.d/networking restart"?

	Returned:

Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Reconfiguring network interfaces...Failed to bring up eth0.
done.

	Then a series of messages scrolled down the screen, similar, maybe
identical to what appears as part of the boot-up.

	One line which I caught seemed to read:

 tried to execve (/etc/dhclient -script, ...): Permission denied

followed by several attempts to connect with the network, all of which
failed.

	Since these two problems emerged, the syslog has always shown the
following:

Feb  8 09:04:24 localhost kernel: eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xa000,
00:50:ba:4f:b1:24, IRQ 169
Feb  8 09:04:24 localhost kernel: eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type
'RTL-8139C'

whereupon the boot-up continued, trying unsuccessfully to connect to the
network, including a line with execve in it, and always ending with
these last two lines:

Feb  8 09:04:41 localhost kdm_greet[2943]: Can't open default user face
Feb  8 09:04:47 localhost kdm: :0[2948]: Session
"/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession" execution failed: Permission denied

> What does your /etc/network/interfaces file look like?

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface