Re: Beagle/Kerry

Wim De Smet wrote:
On 2/12/07, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello

I want to do fulltext searching in my archive of PDF files using beagle
with the kerry frontend (with Debian Sid). But it seems that my PDFs are
not indexed at all. All hits are for words contained in the PDF filenames.

I have disabled all but the "IndexingService" and "Files" backends using
the kerry frontend, because I think the others have nothing to do with
PDF indexing. However, I was not able to find out what "IndexingService"
and "Files" really mean.

Files crawls your files. So that's the one you need. It likely needs
help from the IndexingService to create indices though (I'm not sure
about this) so you best keep those two enabled. Strangely enough I
just tried it and it could only find my pdf's at first if I explicitly
told it to by saying ext:pdf on the input line. After that it found
them on any search. You might want to try that. Also, are you sure
your filesystem is mounted with user_xatrr options?

greets,
Wim

It's working for me now. I fiddled around a bit, but now I am back the the same settings as before. It took quite a while for beagle to build up its index, maybe that was the reason I didn't get any hits before. I have had user_xattr enabled all along. Btw, ext:pdf works as it should, by only showing pdf hits. Without it I get other file types aswell.

Best regards,
Torquil M. Sørensen