Re: KDE peculiarities and questions

# update-alternatives --list x-cursor-theme only shows one cursor theme
installed: /usr/share/icons/Industrial/cursor.theme.  I think that this
theme is the default Gnome cursor theme, because when I tried to remove
it aptitude wanted to remove Gnome-desktop-environment as well.

Of course, what I wanted was NO cursor theme at all, only the default
system cursor themes.  So I removed both the "industrial" cursor theme
and Gnome-desktop environment and thereby got what I wanted.  Hooray!

Previously I had removed the desktop-base package, which did not make
any difference, at least to the login-manager and the cursor style.
Since desktop-base is used by both KDE and Gnome I reinstalled it.  In
doing so aptitude also insisted in installing three other packages:
kdebase-dbg, kdelibs-dbg and qt-x11-free-dbg.  I am not sure what all
these do, no harm, I hope.  One thing that did appear was a blue icon on
the panel which looks like a squashed half jelly bean.  It is something
called "SuperKarumba".  Useful?

Another discovery.  Days ago I wanted to change my login manager from
Gnome to KDE, but it did not work.  This morning when I booted my
desktop this morning to my amazement and surprise the KDE login manager
appeared!  I wonder what I had done in the meantime to deserve this prise.

			Regards,

			Ken Heard