Re: How do I find what debian package ships a given program?

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 05:52 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:19:16PM EST, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 16:40 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> > > Is there a debian utility that returns the name of a package that ships
> > > a given program..?
> > >
> > > ie. - You're looking for program "pgm" .. so you type "whichpkg pgm"
> > > from the prompt and the whichpkg utility returns the name of the
> > > package(s).
> >
> > This command will give you anything that has reference to "pgm" in it.
> >
> >         apt-cache search pgm
> >
> > Now if you were actually looking for "pgm"
> >
> >         apt-file search pgm
> >
> > Currently that gives me 745 lines of return.
>
> .. which is next to useless ..
>
> > Most programs related to pgm are usually like "pgmedge" or "pgmnorm"
> > or "somethingtopgm" or "pgmtosomething"
>
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> > Most of these come from the "netpbm" package. "dvi2pgm" is from the
> > package "tex-guy"
> >
> > So, I guess what do you really want?
>
> My beef being that there is no utility that helps you quickly locate the
> package that contains a given executable ..
>
> Or did I miss something?

It is a matter of searching for the right pattern.

You've already said you put "apt-file search bin/pgm" or something
similar on your cheat-sheet.

        greg@princess:~$ apt-file search bin/pgm
        imgvtopgm: usr/bin/pgmtoimgv
        mjpegtools: usr/bin/pgmtoy4m
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmbentley
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmcrater
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmedge
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmenhance
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmhist
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmkernel
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmnoise
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmnorm
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmoil
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmramp
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmslice
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmtexture
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmtofs
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmtolispm
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmtopbm
        netpbm: usr/bin/pgmtoppm
        pgmfindclip: usr/bin/pgmfindclip
        subtitleripper: usr/bin/pgm2txt
        greg@princess:~$

BTW adding a "-l" (dash ell) gives you this:

        greg@princess:~$ apt-file -l search bin/pgm
        imgvtopgm
        mjpegtools
        netpbm
        pgmfindclip
        subtitleripper
        greg@princess:~$

So, it is just a matter of learning the tools.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup