Re: How do I find what debian package ships a given program?

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 16:40 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> Is there a debian utility that returns the name of a package that ships
> a given program..?
>
> ie. - You're looking for program "pgm" .. so you type "whichpkg pgm"
> from the prompt and the whichpkg utility returns the name of the
> package(s).

This command will give you anything that has reference to "pgm" in it.

        apt-cache search pgm

Now if you were actually looking for "pgm"

        apt-file search pgm

Currently that gives me 745 lines of return. Most programs related to
pgm are usually like "pgmedge" or "pgmnorm" or "somethingtopgm" or
"pgmtosomething"

Most of these come from the "netpbm" package. "dvi2pgm" is from the
package "tex-guy"

So, I guess what do you really want?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net