Re: Using graphical environment

Kelly wrote:
> I have xfree86 installed to my knowledge.  It was installed by
default.  When I type startx it spits out a laundry list of errors.

> Kelly
>
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> boots
> boot
> >>>

> Install whatever GUI package you want to use.  That should drag in
> all (most?) of the packages needed.
Sarge is a bit old for most hardware today, so depending upon your
errors it may just be the simple fact that Sarge doesn't support your
hardware. I'd give Etch a try before anything else, assuming that since
you need a GUI this *isn't *a mission critical server, but rather, a
home computer. Etch is basically Stable, it just doesn't have the name
yet. It has newer packages and better support, especially considering it
has SATA support (Which as far as I know, Sarge doesn't have).

You can download a copy of the Etch NetInstall from http://debian.org/,
just look up the NetInstall and on the bottom of the page there should
be a mirror for "Testing". That would be Etch, give it a go.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with Sarge for some reason you can
post here the errors that X tells you. Somebody should be able to guide
you along (Although since Sarge is stable, I'm going to jump to
conclusions and assume that this is hardware related.)