Re: [Fwd: Re: Writer Processor (was Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian ...)]

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 19:29 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/11/07 18:41, Greg Folkert wrote:

> >> Just to add another voice.   Some of us have to exchange documents with
> >> people who use Word - particularly in work settings, and features like
> >> change tracking,
> >
> > Change tracking in word is a horrible feature. It makes the documents
> > about 170% larger after each set of changes. You ever seen a 3 page
> > specification document 90MB+ in size? I have. It was horrible. Someone
> > could easily turn off revision control and you would lose eveyrthing
> > except the current revision when saved.
>
> Needing to run a cvs or svn server to access documents just won't
> fly with 99.9% of the computing world.

How about a simple wiki-type product. Change tracking and the whole
sh-bang. It is the whole reason Wikis were created. If not a wiki, a
proper document library with a document publishing system is easily had
and setup. Saving into the library rather than a filesystem is all that
is needed. Heck Exchange is good for SOMETHING, beside e-mail and
scheduling you know. Lotus Notes does it too, as does Groupwise.

> Besides, seeing people's versions and revisions all together on the
> page is darned useful.  Even if MS implemented it poorly.

I didn't say it wasn't useful. I just said its implementation was
horrific. I see you agree on that.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup