Re: ip forwarding

On 2/12/07, Andrew Critchlow <a_critchlow@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone, I am having some problems either understanding ip forarding or
configuring it?

 My set up is:

 XP1 - Debian/Server - XP2

 XP1 IP = 10.251.134.20
 Debian/Server eth0 = 10.251.134.10
 Debian/Server eth1 = 172.16.0.50
 XP2 IP = 172.16.0.10

 I want XP1 to be able to ping XP2, so I enabled IP forwarding in
/etc/network/options
 Unfortunately XP1 still can not ping XP2.
 (XP1 can ping Debian/Server, and Debian/Server can ping XP2)

 Do I have to do anything else to enable the Debian/Server to act as a
simple router?

At a certain point using /etc/network/options got deprecated. I'm not
sure if this goes for whatever version of debian you're using but the
proper way to enable it in newer versions would be via sysctl. There
should already be a value listed in /etc/sysctl.conf that you just
need to uncomment. Then it gets set like you want it on every boot.
You can use the sysctl utility to set it yourself.

greets,
Wim