Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 10:06:35AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/11/07 09:31, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:36:55PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 09:10:46AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> [snip]
> > Please note the lack of any complaint about tag-then-delete in my
> > earlier post.  I even mentioned that I will continue to use mutt, which,
> > as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, also uses a tag-then-delete
> > model, although mutt continues to show messages marked for deletion (with
> > a "D" status marker so you know they've been marked but not really
> > deleted, as opposed to hiding them so it looks like they've been deleted
> > when they really haven't been).
> >
> > I was complaining solely about the use of "compact" to mean "delete".
> > Just because Microsoft chooses to arbitrarily redefine words does not
> > mean that we should follow them in doing so.
>
> Redefine?  No.  It compacts the mail folder just like a kitchen
> trash compactor compacts refuse.

Natural language is full of examples of drift in meaning of commonly used
words. In this case perhaps, the real complaint ought to be against
using 'delete' as a substitute for the phrase 'mark for deletion'. I gave
up complaining when the real world ignored my objection to calling a
popular graphical image a 'window' ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net