I used Apachefriends' XAMPP on both Windows and Linux. Have a look at http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Hi again,

I have two problems right now:

1. in my terminal this comes up repeatedly:
    libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work

I have searched in the repositories but couldnt find this package !

This library comes with the gcc-3.x package.

2. In phpMyAdmin this shows in the left column:
    #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's
    socket is not correctly configured)

Hmm sounds like the MySQL-Server isn't running. Try a `netstat -tap` as root to see if it's listening for connections.

Have you experienced something like this ? And what did you do ?

"Unfortunately" I didn't have any problems with XAMPP. But some time ago I switched to a 'normal' installation of Apache, PHP and MySQL-Server on an older, dedicated test-box...

I visited the XAMPP forum and asked for a solution.

The problem is that the mySQLserver is looking for libgcc_s.so.1 (32-bit edition) I'm running AMD 64x2 ........AAAARGH!!

So it looks like I have do it the debian way :-)

--
/Niels
Registred Linux user #133791