Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

Guillermo Garron wrote:
On 2/11/07, Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
Guillermo Garron wrote:
>> tom arnall wrote:
>> > I booted from the Ubuntu CD the other day and was very impressed.
>> It got my
>> > wireless card right off. Back 6 months ago when I did a Debian
>> install from
>> > the minimal cd, I had to recompile the kernel etc to get my card to
>> work.
>> > Does anyone know if this has changed?
>> >
>> > I am thinking seriously of recommending Ubuntu as a starting point
>> for new
>> > users. Comments on the advantages/disadvantages of this idea are
>> encouraged.
>> >
>> > What is involved for a user to switch from Ubuntu to Debian?
> What I am doing is using Ubuntu and Fedora for my desktops and Laptop
> as you said all is recognized at the first try.
> But for my servers, I use CentOS 4.4 and Debian 3.1 as I want stable
> software, and server usually do not use Digital Cameras, or Wireless
> Lan, so you usually do not need that things you need on your desktop.
>
> That is just my opinion, but I hope can give some light to you.
>
> best regards,
>
> ---- And why do I use RedHat and Debian based? just because i am
> curious, and like to experiment :) ---

Well said.  Experimenting=Learning.  My kids who are in 1st and 2nd
grade have already leaned that (van proberen komt leren  :  lit: from
trying comes learning).

However, just because Debian is stable, doesn't mean it isn't good for
the desktop.  I don't know about you, but how would you like to have X
crash on you while you're in the middle of you're online poker game.  By
the time you get your computer working and back to the site, gee, 2
rounds might have already passed.  We can't sit out two rounds.

Seriously.  Like was explained earlier, Ubuntu and all the distros based
on them, take a snapshot of sid on dax X, and give themselves till day Y
to fix it.  On day Z they release, regardless of the state of the
system.  If you know the history, you'll know that Dapper was two months
late.  Edgy was on time.  Dapper is better than Edgy?  Why?  Because
instead of 6 months from the snapshot they were 8.

Now think of it this way.  A large number of packages including the
kernel are newer on Debian Etch than on Ubuntu Edgy.  Once Etch goes
stable, and Fiesty is released, things will turn the other way.  Along
comes Lenny to tip the balance.

I have a feeling that quite of bit of the work being done is artwork.

regards,

Joe

You send this only to me, Is this good? or you wanted to send to the list?

Thanks I did not know that etch was "newer" that edgy!

Damn, did it again. I am so used to hitting reply. I have to remember Reply to ALL...

Yes, it works that way because Debian Testing is constantly being updated with packages. The latest release of Ubuntu is always a snapshot of Unstable a few months before they release. By the time they do release, a large number of the packages have already migrated to Testing. You want a distro that is really bleeding edge? Take a loot at www.sidux.com.

Joe