Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:59:01PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
Many of the posts contain good ideas, and I changed some of the ideas I
expressed in my post as a result.  For example, I used "brain dead user"
(BDU) at first to refer to myself, but further in my text I used it to
refer to others with a Linux competence level more or less comparable to
mine.  Someone suggested the terms novice, advanced beginner, etc.,
which are better, being non-pejorative.

That was me.

I would like, in time, to contribute to the project which appears to be
emerging from all these posts.  (Does it have a name with suitable
acronym yet?  If not, how about LOIN -- Linux Orientation Initiative for
Novices?)  In view of my own experience, the best role for me would be
as a tester of various documents drafted by others more knowledgeable
about the subject.

I'm thinking NoviceDoc.  I tried to create an alioth project but kept
getting spit out.  I'm hoping that someone who knows about alioth can
help.  There's no "help" button or contact info on the alioth main page.
Probably because DDs should know better; I'm a novice at alioth only
having seen it for the first time last week.

Doug.

I'm one of the newbies so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here, and I'm too tired this early in the morning to search the archives. Let me just say this in regard to documentation.

There is more Debian documentation than any other Distro except for perhaps Gentoo. The problem with the Debian Documentation is that it is old. I don't know what exactly is being done to update it, but for example the Debian Reference was written when Sarge was in testing. Most of it still applies, but there are more options thanks to newer tools. For example surfing the web from the command line. I know of links, lynx, and w3m. Which should we tell people to use? Probably none of the above unless they have problems with X. In that case it's pretty good information to know.

Regards,

Joe

(Sorry for the Double post, hit the wrong button again).