Re: Local webserver for testing, needed

On Saturday 10 February 2007 04:50, Niels Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi list
>
> In Windows there is a utility called WAMP, which stands for:
> 	Windows+Apache+MySQL+PHP
>
> It was quite nice to use for testing PHP-apps locally before
> uploading to my domain.
>
> I dont want to install a fullblown webserver just to check if
> my pages looks all right, before uploading.

I'm not sure if this has been made clear to you, but by running
WAMP you were in fact running a full-blown webserver.

Apache (the "A" in WAMP and LAMP) is a webserver, and a good one
at that.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle) for more
info.

> Does such a utility exist for use with debian (or something
> similar)  ?
>
> I've read about LAMP but cant find it in the repositories :-/

Yes and no, You already have "L" and now you just need "AMP".
The WAMP package you used probably contained Apache 2.0.59, PHP
5.2.0, and MySQL 5.0.27.  Linux people are a little strange in
that we don't like software bundles, we want to control each
piece of software and may want to use something  different.

On Debian Etch you would need to install apache2, php5,
mysql-client, and mysql-server, and possibly others that you
find helpful.  In fact, if you are not using MySQL then save
yourself some work and don't install it.

-Steve